February 19th, 2014
A famous wide receiver once said "just throw me the darn ball!" But there is oh so much more to it.
Today's WR must do more than run fast (although speed is huge). They must be able to block, run after the catch and battle the ferocious secondaries around the league. And oh yeah: they have to catch the darn ball.
Sideline Tap Drill
1. QB lines up on the right hash
2. WR lines up to the right of the QB
3. At the snap, WR runs to a cone 8-10 yards away
4. WR then cuts towards a cone at the sideline
5. QB throws the football towards the sideline, forcing the WR to catch the football and control both feet before his momentum carries him out of bounds
Over the Shoulder Drill
1. QB stands 5 yards behind the WR
2. QB yells “GO" and WR runs top speed straight ahead
4. QB yells “BALL” after 10 yards and WR looks back over his shoulder
5. WR adjusts to the ball thrown by the QB over either shoulder
Go on the clock this Friday - Sunday exclusively on NFL Network!